Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The painful start

I started this past Saturday on what I had hoped would be a nice 2 day "fix the beast" weekend. It ended up being a 1 day "fix the beast" weekend. We had other plans for Sunday.

So I started with installing the SAI block off plate (http://www.intengineering.com/VW/18T/Accessories/18t-SAI-Blockoff-Plate-p3333558.html) and the removal of the SAI pump. The plate fitlike a gloves and bolted up nicely. The hard lines came out with ease then came the pump, which was not so easy. It was bolted to the side of the block in the front. They did not make it easy to remove the bolts holding the pump on. After some brain and muscle power i got the pump out. The bay looks 10 times better with all the extra out. It is starting to look like a normal engine bay now. I secured the extra pump wires for now. I will go back later and find a way to tuck them out of the way or delete them totally.

Next, I went for the valve cover gasket change. I tend to always get nervous when working with the engine exposed like that. I removed all the bolts and coil packs. I took my time getting the bolts off, since they are so small I did not want to lose one by dropping it or worst case dropping into the engine. The new gasket from http://www.germanautoparts.com/ fit nicely.

The final part I got to before calling it a day was the oil. I drained the oil and replaced the filter. I decided to leave the engine empty of oil and coolant for now, since I am still looking into removing the turbo to conquer that oil leak.

I decided to call it a day there. Little did I know that the bending up/down and getting up/down would do a number on my legs. They are sore now.

Pictures to come once I get off my butt and take some.

Checklist of what to do:
remove turbo
check oil lines on turbo and oil seals
fix oil leak (fingers crossed)
reinstall turbo and other misc parts that were removed
refill oil
refill coolant
start car with fingers crossed

No comments:

Post a Comment